Terms of Service
Updated: February 9, 2018
- Eligibility. Use of the Service is void where prohibited. The Service is for users of all ages. For children under 13, VokaBee requires parental consent and offers a limited feature set and website experience that removes certain social features. By using the Service, you represent and warrant that (a) all registration information you submit is truthful and accurate; (b) you will maintain the accuracy of such information; and (c) your use of the Service does not violate any applicable law or regulation.
- Your VokaBee Account and Data. If you create an account on the Service, you are responsible for maintaining the security of your account and data, and you are fully responsible for all activities that occur under the account. You must notify VokaBee immediately of any unauthorized uses of your data, your account or any other breaches of security. VokaBee will not be liable for any acts or omissions by you, including any damages of any kind incurred as a result of such acts or omissions. VokaBee may from time to time set storage limits for your data, or take any other measures it considers appropriate to manage the Service. VokaBee may also from time to time change its policies on offering commercial content or displaying advertising, and may do this without notice.
Memberships. memberships may be purchased either by (i) paying a recurring subscription fee;
or (ii) pre-payment giving you access for a specific time period ("Pre-Paid Period"). The terms
stated below will govern your participation in these programs.
- Pre-Paid Membership Term: memberships purchased for a Pre-Paid Period will automatically terminate at the end of the Pre-Paid Period.
- Subscription Cancellation by You: If you have purchased a recurring upgraded membership subscription, you may end your upgraded membership at any time. When you choose to end your upgraded membership subscription, your membership subscription does not renew on the next auto-renewal date. You may continue to enjoy your membership benefits until that date, after which your account will be automatically cancelled.
- Cancellation by Us: We may cancel your upgraded membership at any time for any reason, with or without prior notice.
- Price changes: VokaBee may change the price for memberships from time to time. VokaBee will communicate any price changes to you in advance and, if applicable, how to accept those changes. Price changes for memberships will take effect at the start of the next subscription period following the date of the price change. As permitted by local law, you accept the new price by continuing to maintain your VokaBee membership after the price change takes effect. If you do not agree with the price changes, you have the right to reject the change by unsubscribing from the membership prior to the price change going into effect. Please therefore make sure you read any such notification of price changes carefully.
- Prohibited Content and Activities, and Responsibility of Contributors. If you create assignments on the Service, or otherwise make material available by means of the Service (referred to collectively as "Content"), you are entirely responsible for the composition of, and any harm resulting from, that Content. That is the case, regardless of whether the Content in question constitutes text, graphics, audio files, computer software or any other format in which VokaBee stores data.
The purpose of the Service is studying, and users are asked to post only
study-related Content. The following are examples of the kind of Content that is
illegal or prohibited to post on or through the Service. VokaBee reserves the right
to investigate and take appropriate legal action against anyone who, in VokaBee's sole
discretion, violates this provision, including without limitation, removing the offending
Content from the Service and terminating the accounts of such violators.
Prohibited Content includes, but is not limited to, Content that, in the sole discretion of VokaBee:
- is patently offensive and promotes racism, bigotry, hatred or physical harm of any kind against any class or individual;
- harasses or advocates harassment of another person;
- exploits people in a sexual or violent manner;
- contains sexually suggestive, excessively violent, or offensive subject matter;
- solicits personal information from anyone under 18 years old;
- publicly posts information that poses or creates a privacy or security risk to any person;
- includes information about another person that you have posted without that person's consent;
- violates the privacy rights, publicity rights, copyrights, trademark rights, contract rights or any other rights of any person;
- contains or promotes information that you know is false or misleading, or promotes illegal activities or conduct that are abusive, threatening, obscene, defamatory or libelous;
- contains or promotes an illegal or unauthorized copy of another person's copyrighted work;
- solicits passwords or personally-identifying information for commercial or unlawful purposes from other users;
- involves the transmission of junk mail, chain letters, unsolicited mass mailings or instant messages, or spam;
- furthers or promotes any criminal activity or enterprise, or provides instructional information about illegal activities including, but not limited to, making or buying illegal weapons, violating someone's privacy, or providing or creating computer viruses;
- involves commercial activities and/or sales without prior written consent from VokaBee, such as contests, sweepstakes, bartering, advertising, or pyramid schemes.
The following are examples of the kind of activity that is illegal or prohibited on the Service.
VokaBee reserves the right to investigate and take appropriate legal action against anyone who, in
VokaBee's sole discretion, violates this provision, including without limitation, reporting you to law
enforcement authorities. Prohibited activity includes, but is not limited to:The following are examples
of the kind of activity that is illegal or prohibited on the Service. VokaBee reserves the right to
investigate and take appropriate legal action against anyone who, in VokaBee's sole discretion,
violates this provision, including without limitation, reporting you to law enforcement authorities.
Prohibited activity includes, but is not limited to:
- criminal or tortious activity, including child pornography, fraud, trafficking in obscene material, drug dealing, gambling, harassment, stalking, spamming, sending of viruses or other harmful files, copyright infringement, patent infringement, or theft of trade secrets;
- circumventing or modifying, attempting to circumvent or modify, or encouraging or assisting any other person in circumventing or modifying any security technology or software that is part of the Service;
- impersonating or attempting to impersonate another user, person or entity;
- using the account, username, or password of another user at any time, or disclosing your password to any third party, or permitting any third party to access your account;
- using any information obtained from the Service in order to harass, abuse, or harm another person or entity, or attempting to do so;
- activity that involves the use of viruses, bots, worms, or any other computer code, files or programs that interrupt, destroy or limit the functionality of any computer software or hardware, or otherwise permit the unauthorized use of, or access to, a computer or a computer network;
- any automated use of the system, such as, but not limited to, using scripts to create or post Content;
- interfering with, disrupting, or creating an undue burden on the Service or the networks or services connected to the Service;
- displaying an unauthorized commercial advertisement on the Service, or accepting payment or anything of value from a third party in exchange for your performing any commercial activity through the unauthorized or impermissible use of the Service on behalf of that party;
- reproducing, duplicating, copying, selling, reselling, trading, or exploiting for any commercial purposes, any portion of, or access to, the Content and/or functionality offered through the Service, unless you have been specifically allowed to do so in a separate agreement;
- using the Service in a manner inconsistent with any and all applicable laws and regulations.
By making Content available, you represent and warrant that:
- the downloading, copying and use of the Content will not infringe the proprietary rights, including but not limited to the copyright, patent, trademark or trade secret rights, of any third party;
- if your employer has rights to intellectual property you create, you have either (i) received permission from your employer to post or make available the Content, including but not limited to any software, or (ii) secured from your employer a waiver as to all rights in or to the Content;
- you have fully complied with any third-party licenses relating to the Content, and have done all things necessary to successfully pass through to end users any required terms;
- the Content does not contain or install any viruses, worms, malware, Trojan horses or other harmful or destructive material;
- the Content is not spam, and does not contain unethical or unwanted commercial material designed to drive traffic to third party sites, to boost the search engine rankings of third party sites, to enable unlawful acts (such as phishing) or to mislead recipients as to the source of the material (such as spoofing);
- the Content is not obscene or libelous, and does not violate the privacy or publicity rights of any third party; and
- you have, in the case of Content that includes computer code, accurately categorized and/or described the type, nature, uses and effects of the materials, whether requested to do so by VokaBee or otherwise.
- By submitting Content to VokaBee for inclusion on the Service, for example posting an assignment, you grant VokaBee a world-wide, perpetual, royalty-free license (with right to sublicense) to use, copy, reproduce, process, adapt, modify, publish, transmit, display, and distribute such Content in any and all media or distribution methods (existing or subsequently developed).
- Such additional uses by VokaBee, or other companies or individuals who partner with VokaBee, may be made with no compensation paid to you with respect to the Content that you submit, post, or otherwise make available through the Service.
- If you use VokaBee's Embed Function on your website, you may not modify, build upon, or block any functionality or portion thereof, including but not limited to links back to the VokaBee website.
- Responsibility of Service Visitors. VokaBee has not reviewed, and cannot review, all Content posted to the Service, and cannot therefore be responsible for that material's content, use or effects. By operating the Service, VokaBee does not represent or imply that it endorses the material posted thereon, or that it believes such material to be accurate, useful or non-harmful. You are responsible for taking precautions as necessary to protect yourself and your computer systems from viruses, worms, Trojan horses, and other harmful or destructive material. The Service may contain material that is offensive, indecent, or otherwise objectionable, as well as Content in which technical inaccuracies, typographical mistakes, and other errors may be present. The Service may also contain material that violates or infringes the intellectual property and other proprietary rights of third parties, or of which the downloading, copying or use may be subject to additional terms and conditions, stated or unstated. VokaBee disclaims any responsibility for any harm resulting from the use by visitors of the Service, or from any downloading by those visitors of content posted thereon.
- Content Posted on Other Websites. We have not reviewed, and cannot review, all of the Content, including computer software, made available through the websites and webpages to which VokaBee links, and which link to VokaBee. VokaBee does not have any control over those third party websites and webpages, and is not responsible for their content or your use thereof. By linking to a third party website or webpage, VokaBee does not represent or imply that it endorses that website or webpage. You are responsible for taking precautions as necessary to protect yourself and your computer systems from viruses, worms, Trojan horses, and other harmful or destructive material. VokaBee disclaims any responsibility for any harm resulting from your use of third party websites and webpages.
- Copyright Infringement. As VokaBee asks others to respect its intellectual property rights, it respects the intellectual property rights of others. If you believe that material located on or linked to by VokaBee violates your copyright, you are encouraged to notify VokaBee in accordance with VokaBee's Policy. VokaBee will respond to all such notices, including by removing the infringing Content or disabling all links to the infringing Content, as required or appropriate. In the case of a visitor who may infringe, once or repeatedly, the copyrights or other intellectual property rights of VokaBee or others, VokaBee may, in its discretion, terminate or deny access to, or use of, the Service. In the case of such termination, VokaBee will be under no obligation to provide a refund of any amounts previously paid to VokaBee.
- Trademarks. VokaBee, VokaBee, VokaBee.com, the VokaBee logo, and all other trademarks, service marks, graphics and logos used in connection with VokaBee, or the Service are trademarks or registered trademarks of VokaBee or VokaBee's licensors. Other trademarks, service marks, graphics and logos used in connection with the Service may be the trademarks of other third parties. Your use of the Service grants you no right or license to reproduce or otherwise use any VokaBee or third-party trademarks. Audio files and software may not be sold or redistributed, or offered as a service to others.
- Changes. The Service, including without limitation all content there available and these Terms of Service, may be changed at the sole discretion of VokaBee and without notice. You are bound by any such updates or changes, including but not limited to those affecting these Terms of Service, and as such, you should periodically review these Terms of Service.
- Limitation of warranties of VokaBee, its suppliers and its licensors. Except as otherwise expressly stated, all content posted to or available from the Service is provided "as is", and VokaBee, its suppliers and its licensors make no representations or warranties, express or implied, including but not limited to warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, title, or non-infringement of proprietary rights. You understand and agree that you download from, or otherwise obtain content or services through, the Service at your own discretion and risk, and that VokaBee, its suppliers and its licensors will have no liability or responsibility for any damage to your computer system or data that results from the download such Content or the use of the Service. Some jurisdictions may not allow the exclusion of implied warranties, so some of the above may not apply to you.
- Limitation of liability of VokaBee, its suppliers and its licensors. Except as otherwise expressly stated, in no circumstance will VokaBee, its suppliers or its licensors be liable to you or any other party for any direct, indirect, special, consequential or exemplary damages, regardless of the basis or nature of the claim, resulting from any use of the Service, or the contents thereof or of any hyperlinked website including without limitation any lost profits, business interruption, loss of data or otherwise, even if VokaBee, its suppliers or its licensors were expressly advised of the possibility of such damages. In no event will the aggregate liability for any and all of your claims against VokaBee, its suppliers and its licensors arising from, or related to, use of the Service, or the contents thereof, or of any hyperlinked website, exceed the amounts actually paid by you to VokaBee during the 12-month period prior to the date a claim is made. Some jurisdictions may not allow the exclusion or limitation of liability for certain incidental or consequential damages, so some of the above limitations may not apply to you. The parties agree that this section, Section 10, represents a reasonable allocation of risk.
- Indemnification. You agree to defend, indemnify and hold harmless VokaBee, its contractors, and its licensors, and their respective directors, officers, employees and agents from and against any and all claims and expenses, including attorneys' fees, arising from your use of the Service, including but not limited to, any violation of any representation or warranty contained in these Terms of Service.
- Miscellaneous. These Terms of Service constitute the entire agreement between VokaBee and you concerning the subject matter hereof, and they may only be modified by a written amendment signed by an authorized executive of VokaBee, or by the posting by VokaBee of a revised version. Except to the extent any applicable law provides otherwise, these Terms of Service and any access to or use of the Service will be governed by the laws of the Singapore, excluding its conflict of law provisions, and the proper venue for any disputes arising out of or relating to any of the same will be the state and federal courts located in Singapore. If any part of these Terms of Service is held invalid or unenforceable, that part will be construed to reflect the parties' original intent, and the remaining portions will remain in full force and effect. A waiver by either party of any term or condition of these Terms of Service or any breach thereof, in any one instance, will not waive such term or condition or any subsequent breach thereof. You may assign your rights under these Terms of Service to any party that consents to, and agrees to be bound by, its terms. VokaBee may assign its rights under these Terms of Service without condition. These Terms of Service will be binding upon and will inure to the benefit of the parties, their successors and permitted assigns.
Your privacy is critically important to us. At VokaBee we have a few fundamental principles:
- We only collect your personal information when we need it, and only what we need to provide you with our services.
- We don't share your personal information with anyone except to provide and develop our services, comply with the law, or protect the rights, property or safety of VokaBee, our users or the public.
- We don't store your personal information unless it’s required for the ongoing operation of our services.
- We give you control over how your personal information is used, including what's made visible to the public, seen by search engines, kept private, and deleted.
- It is VokaBee's policy to respect your privacy regarding any information we may collect while operating our website and the two VokaBee mobile applications.
- Whether you are new to VokaBee or a long-time user, please take some time to get to know our practices. This is important, so we’ve tried to keep it as straightforward as possible, but please contact us if you have any questions.
- What information we collect and why we collect it.
- How we use and share that information.
- The choices we offer to our users, including how you can access and update your information.
What information do we collect?
We collect information to provide better services to all of our users. The information we collect varies based on how you use our services.
Information you give us
When you use VokaBee’s services, we may request certain information about you. For example, when you create a VokaBee account, we request you provide us some personal information, such as an email address, to store with your account. Users who engage in financial transactions with VokaBee are asked to provide additional information, such as a credit card number. Visitors can always refrain from supplying certain information, though it may prevent them from engaging in certain VokaBee services which require that information.
Information we get from your use of our services
We collect information about the services that you use and how you use them, like when you create a study set, join a class, or view and interact with your or other users’ content. This information includes: Device information. Like most website operators, VokaBee collects information about how users visit our site and the devices they use. We collect device-specific information (such as your hardware model, operating system version, device identifiers like IDFA and UDID, and mobile network information). VokaBee may associate your device identifiers or other device information with your VokaBee Account to help us provide consistent services across your devices. We do not request access to or collect location sensor information, such as GPS or Bluetooth beacons, from your mobile device while downloading or using our mobile apps or services. Log information. When you use VokaBee services, we automatically collect and store certain information about this activity. This data includes:
- Details of how you used our service, like your search queries, clicks and site navigation information, or study activity
- Browser type
- Language preference and time zone
- Referring site, and the date and time of each visitor request
- Connection information like ISP or mobile operator
- Internet Protocol (IP) address
Analytics data. Technologies such as cookies, beacons, tags and scripts are used by VokaBee and our partners' affiliates, or analytics or service providers, to collect and store data about our users. These technologies are used in analyzing trends, administering the site, tracking how users use and navigate the site and to gather demographic information about our user base. We may receive reports based on the use of these technologies by these companies on an individual as well as aggregated basis. We also use mobile analytics software to allow us a better understanding of the functionality of our mobile software on your device. This software may record information such as how often you use the application, the events and activities that occur within the application, aggregated usage, performance data, and where the application was downloaded from. We do not link the information we store within the analytics software to any personally-identifying information you submit within the mobile app.
Information we get from partners and other users
Facebook Connect and Google Login. You can log in to our site using sign-in services such as Facebook Connect and Google Login. These services authenticate your identity and provide you the option to share certain personal information with us, including your name, date of birth, and email address, to pre-populate our sign-up form. Services like Facebook Connect also give you the option to post information about your activities on this website to your profile page to share with others within your network.
Local storage. Third parties, with whom we partner to provide certain features on our site or to display advertising based upon your web browsing activity, may use Local Storage to collect and store information. Various browsers may offer their own management tools for removing data from Local Storage, so we would encourage you to review the practices and policies of your browsers.
Other users. VokaBee may receive information about you from other users. For example, if another user chooses to use our referral service to tell a friend about our website, we will ask that user for their friend’s name and email address so we can send the invites on their behalf. You may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to request that we remove your information from our database.
For children under 13, VokaBee offers a limited feature set and website experience that removes certain features. We require consent from the parent of children under the age of 13 to remove these restrictions.
We do not condition a child's participation or access to any activity on VokaBee on the child providing any personally-identifying information or any more information than is reasonably necessary for that activity.
We may use aggregated or de-identified information about children for research, analysis, marketing and other commercial purposes.
Parental Rights. Parents and legal guardians of children under 13 can consent to collection and use of a child's personal information without consenting to the disclosure of that information to third parties. Parents or guardians can review information their children under 13 have contributed to VokaBee by accessing their child's account via password reset. Parents can also request that VokaBee delete that information and refuse to allow VokaBee to collect further information from their children by contacting VokaBee at email@example.com. VokaBee may ask additional questions or take other steps to verify the identity of a parent or guardian before responding to a request to review or delete a child's information or a request to refuse further collection from a child.
How do we use this information?
To operate and improve VokaBee
We are able to deliver our services, personalize content, and make suggestions for you by using this information
to understand how you use and interact with our services. We conduct surveys and research, test features in development,
and analyze the information we have to evaluate and improve products and services, develop new products or features,
and conduct audits and troubleshooting activities.
We use information collected from cookies and other technologies, like pixel tags, to improve your user experience and the overall quality of our services. For example, by saving your language preferences, we’ll be able to have our services appear in the language you prefer.
We use the information we have to help analyze the content on VokaBee to provide you relevant product features, such as better search results and to promote safety and security on our services, such as by investigating suspicious activity or violations of our terms or policies.
To contact you
When you contact VokaBee, we keep a record of your communication to help identify and solve any issues you and other users might be facing. We may use your email address to inform you about our services, such as letting you know about upcoming changes or improvements. If you are a registered user of a VokaBee website or mobile application and have supplied your email address, VokaBee may occasionally send you an email to tell you about new features, solicit your feedback, or just keep you up to date with what's going on with VokaBee and our products. We primarily use our various product blogs to communicate this type of information, so we expect to keep this type of email to a minimum. If you send us a request, for example via a support email or via one of our feedback mechanisms, we reserve the right to publish it in order to help us clarify or respond to your request or to help us support other users. You may choose to stop receiving our email by updating your email settings within your profile or you can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Advertising on VokaBee
VokaBee does not provide any personally-identifying information to advertisers. VokaBee and our third-party advertising partners may serve advertisements when you visit our website. In order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you, VokaBee and our third-party advertising partners may use information collected from you, or from devices associated with you (not including your name, address, email address or telephone number), and your visits to this and other websites to show you relevant ads.
How can I manage information about me?
Upon request, VokaBee will provide you with information about whether we hold, or process on behalf of a
third party, any of your personal information. To request this information please contact us at email@example.com.
For users over the age of 13, you always remain in control of the information you provide to VokaBee. You may review, edit or delete any information you submit to us at any time by signing into your VokaBee account; however, deletion of this information may restrict your ability to effectively use the Service. You may also delete your account at any time. If you delete your account, all the study sets, folders, and classes that you've created will also be also deleted.
For users under the age of 13, the parent remains in control of the information the child provides to VokaBee. Parents may review, edit or delete their child’s account’s content or account at any time by signing into the child’s account. If the parent deletes the account, all the study sets, folders, and classes the child created are also deleted. A parent may request updates or corrections to account registration information by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org. We will respond to these requests within a reasonable timeframe.
VokaBee retains your personal information only for as long as your account is active or to fulfill legitimate business or
legal purposes. VokaBee may also retain and use non-personal information, including information which
has been de-identified, aggregated, or anonymized.
We design our systems to protect information from accidental or malicious destruction. Because of this, when you delete or update your account or information from our services, we may not immediately delete residual copies from our active servers and may not remove some information from our backup systems.
Information you share on VokaBee
Certain information about you or activities you perform on VokaBee may be displayed to other users.
Whenever possible, we provide you with strong choices to make informed decisions about the privacy of your content on VokaBee.
For example, information included on your user profile, classes you have joined, or sets you have studied may be visible to other users on VokaBee. We also provide you the ability to control who can view and modify your created content on VokaBee.
Comments you post to VokaBee discussion boards, on our blog or in testimonials may be viewable by other users of VokaBee and the general public.
You should be aware that any information you provide in these areas may be read, collected, and used by others who access them. To request removal of your personal information from these areas, contact us at email@example.com. In some cases, we may not be able to remove your personal information, in which case we will let you know if we are unable to do so and why.
How do we share this information?
VokaBee does not share your personal information unless one of the following conditions applies:
With your consent
We will share personal information with companies, organizations or individuals outside of VokaBee when we have your consent to do so.
For external processing
VokaBee provides personal and non-personal information to our partners,
trusted organizations, vendors and other affiliated organizations to process it
appropriate confidentiality, security or other requirements we deem necessary.
Some of these contractors and affiliated organizations may be located outside of your home country and by using VokaBee, you consent to the transfer of your information to them.
From time to time, VokaBee may release non-personally-identifying information in the aggregate, for example, by publishing a report on trends in the usage of its website.
To respond to legal and other requests and to prevent harm
VokaBee will share personal information with companies, organizations or individuals outside of VokaBee if we have a good-faith belief that access, use, preservation or disclosure of the information is reasonably necessary to:
- respond to or meet any applicable law, regulation, legal process or other enforceable governmental request.
- enforce our Terms of Service, including investigation of potential violations.
- detect, prevent, or otherwise address fraud, security or technical issues.
- protect against and prevent harm to the rights, property or safety of VokaBee, our users or the public as required or permitted by law.
- If VokaBee is involved in a merger, acquisition, or sale of all or a portion of its assets, you will be notified via email and/or a prominent notice on our website of any change in ownership or uses of your personal information, as well as any choices you may have regarding your personal information.
How do we secure your information?
The security of your personal information is important to us and VokaBee takes all
measures reasonably necessary to protect against the unauthorized access, use, alteration
or destruction of personal information.
We follow generally accepted industry standards to protect the personal information submitted to us, both during transmission and once we receive it. For example, our website and apps are protected by HTTPS encryption and when you enter credit card information on our order forms, that information is encrypted and protected by our third-party payment providers. We also maintain a robust security program including third-party testing and a bug bounty program. If you have any questions about security on our website, you can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If we know or have reason to know of a systems security breach by an unauthorized party of your user data where that data is being or is likely to be used for an unauthorized purpose, we will promptly notify you so that you can take appropriate steps.
Data Breach Practices
We comply with relevant laws regarding data breaches. If we know or have reason to know of a systems security breach by an unauthorized party of your user data where that data is being or is likely to be used for an unauthorized purpose, we will promptly notify you so that you can take appropriate steps.